Saturday, March 13, 2010

Episode 10- Tiny Boxes

~Welcome/ Intro
~ Contest:  Check out the Ravelry Group Page and share your best tip for "Going Green!"  Winner will receive 2 skeins of KnitPicks Wool of the Andes in colors Green Tea Heather and Avacado.
~Cheap Sock KAL:  Get your supplies and pattern ready!  We will be doing a Sock Knit-a-long during April!  Start and finish a pair of socks in April, and post the photos on the Ravelry boards and you will be entered in a drawing to win a mystery prize!
~ Knitting:
  - Not much done on Wedding Shawl
 - Did a little work on my Purple Cable socks, I will finish them before the April Sock KAL!
 - Knitting my 7 month old niece some awesome Cheshire Cat legwarmers!  The striping idea came from Brooklyn Tweed's Turn A Square hat!  He also has a great tutorial in that pattern on how to avoid that goofy little stripe jog when you are striping in the round!
~ Spinning:
  - Spun up some Valentine (pink shades) corriedale from Sunset Fibers to use in my Cheshire Cat legwarmers!
  - I decided I want to knit a cropped, short sleeved cardi, so I'm spinning some cream corrie/ merino for that!
~ Sales!
  Yarny/ fibery
   - Fiber2Yarn has some AMAZING deals on rovings and tops!  10-40% off yarns as well!
   - Since Easter is only a few weeks away, check out your local grocery stores for sales on Easter Egg dye and use it on your yarn!  It works great!
   Other
    - SavingsNut has great tools and tips for saving money in just about every aspect of your life!  Check it out!
~ Tip of the week:
Invest in a Neti Pot!  They are an amazing little pot you use to pour saline solution through your nose to clear out your sinuses!  It helps keep allergens out of your face and clear all the goo out too!  They usually run between $12 and $25, but I recommend getting one that you can put in the dishwasher!
~How I saved the week!
 - I used free TurboTax to do my taxes!
 - I bought some awesome Tul pens from Office Max for only $.40 each!  WOOHOO!
~DIY
  ItsJustMeghan from the Stitch It! Podcast had an amazing tutorial on how to make your own Lazy Kate out of a shoebox and 6 knitting needles in her 13th episode!  Click here to see for yourself!
I made one!  Lookie!

~Worth It!
Pros: Very soft and lofty, very warm, comes in lots of vibrant colors, feels pretty sturdy, and great for felting.
Cons: Not machine washable, the ball was very tangly on the inside (ball it up before you knit with it), single ply isn't always as strong as multi- ply yarns.
**Overall: Medium worth.  I would probably buy it again, but I know it won't be useful for some projects.

Pros: Comes in lots of colors, both solid and self patterning, nylon makes the yarn strong, bamboo makes it shiny and pretty, not knotty or splitty.
Cons: Not machine washable.
Overall: Worth it!

Contact Info:
Ravelry: Roue
Twitter: Roue0824
If you like the show, please leave a review on iTunes!  I won't be doing a show next week, so use your knitcents while I'm gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment