Sunday, May 16, 2010

Episode 18- Green Thumb

~Welcome/ Intro/ Thank yous!
~ Sponsor: 
 Laura's Organics!  She is donating a jar of her wonderful hand cream to the lucky winner of this month's contest!  If you want to get any of this amazing product, email her at laurasorganics@gmail.com
~ Contest:
LAL- Learn something new, and share all about it!  Tell us about it on the Ravelry Group, send me an email, or leave a comment with a link to your blog!
~ Knitting:
  I've finished the raglan increases on the Simple Knitted Bodice, and have joined it in the round!  Just about to start the lace repeats!
  - I've also finished the toe increases for the first toe up sock!
  - Finally, I've started another top down vanilla sock out of some Regia that I got from Little Knits for only $3.50 a ball!
~ Spinning:
Haven't done too much, but I did get about an ounce done of the Polwortth from Sunset Fibers!
~ Free Entertainment:
  I've finished catching up with all the episodes of the Knitajourney Podcast!  Now is a great time to catch up if you haven't heard the show, because Susan is taking the month of May off, for vacation and gardening!
~ New segment: My Garden!  
  - I've finished assembling the raised bed, got dirt, planted seeds and planted flowers! I also bought some plants, and traded some eggs from my chickens for more vegetable plants!  Yay for bartering!
~Sales!
  -Yarn
   - PurlSoho has a few things each week, for 40% off!  Check them out!
   - JimmyBeansWool also has a LOT of items, sale priced from 30-50% off!  Yarn, accessories and books!
  -Elsewhere
   -Freebies4mom is an awesome blog, where the writer links to, and gives instructions on how to get free and discounted stuff!  She links to manufacturer coupons, rebates and deals!  Its way awesome!
~ Tip of the Week:
Step back and breathe.  Don't shop when you are frustrated or angry, because you will possibly spend more than necessary.  Anger or frustration makes it harder to think about ways to save money, and can cloud judgment on whether you should be buying!
~ How I Saved the Week:
  I traded eggs for plants, and I also made some yummy foccacia bread instead of buying it!
~DIY:
Garbage Bag Potatoes
~ Worth It!
The Kitchen Garden by Alan Buckingham
Retail: $22.95
Pros:
  - Monthly Calendar: Tells you everything you need to be doing each month to have a successful garden all year long!
  - Plant Index: Tells you everything you need to know about about how, when and where to plant each plant!  It also has lots of info about common pests, and diseases, as well as ways to help fix it!
  - Gives lots of advice for different types of the same kind of plant. ie: Purple cabbage needs more light than white cabbage!
  - Huge plant pest and disease index, with symptoms and remedies!
Cons:
  - The only con I could find was that it doesn't have zoning information.  I would like to be able to look in the book and know what plants will and will not work in my area.
**Overall: WORTH IT!

~Contact Info: 
Leave a comment here on the shownotes page
Ravelry: Roue
Email me!
Twitter: Roue0824






1 comment:

  1. I really like your podcast. I have a small comment about your garden beds. Plants don't like the oil from cedar, so you might have some problems with the plants that are close to the boards. The cedar will last longer than other woods, though, as it will not rot so soon. Good luck on that garden.
    docM

    ReplyDelete